Friday, September 17, 2010

Creamy Cabbage Pasta

Ok, I know what you're thinking.  Another damn cabbage recipe.  Well... when coleslaw isn't cutting it, and you've got tons of red cabbage... you have to start getting creative... or just throwing it into random things.  Such as pasta.  So bare with me in my pasta escapades, but also trust me... because this was pretty darn delicious.

And on a side note, I'm extremely happy that it's Friday.  No tests to study for this weekend, so it will definitely be a more relaxed one, and I can enjoy my Sunday football, distraction-free.  Woohoo.

Nothing too crazy going on this weekend, just a bunch of relaxation, and well, I do have to work tomorrow, but it's okay.  Andy and I will be checking out a new Colombian place in town, La Colombiana, tonight for dinner.  Remember World Fest from a couple weeks ago?  Well, they were stand with the longest line at the whole festival, and we liked what we ended up with so hopefully their restaurant delivers as much satisfaction as their crispy, crunchy arepa did!


Ingredients:
adapted from Rocco Dispirito's "Now Eat This!" Creamy Parmigiano-Reggiano Sauce

1 onion, roughly chopped
9 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
pinch of ground nutmeg
1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 lb. spaghetti noodles or other pasta

In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, combine the onion, garlic, and water.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and cover tightly with plastic wrap or covering.  Microwave for about 10 minutes.

Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste, if needed.

Heat a large skillet under medium high heat and add the onion-garlic puree, cabbage, and tomatoes.

Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water, according to package directions for al dente.  Drain and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk the heavy cream with the cornstarch until completely dissolved.

Add the cornstarch mixture to the onion-garlic in the skillet.  Raise heat to high and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 minute, or until slightly thickened.

Add the Parmesan cheese and nutmeg to the sauce.  Whisk until cheese is melted.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Add noodles to mixture and toss well.  Serve right away!

This was pretty great!  I loved the flavors that the cabbage and the tomatoes added to the dish and the onion-garlic puree was definitely a flavor-enhancer for the sauce itself.  We served this with fresh garlic bread and some lemon-thyme potatoes.

Enjoy the weekend guys and just an FYI... I'm a contestant in Foodbuzz's Project Food Blog and voting starts on Monday for the 1st Challenge (you can read my entry here) and I would really appreciate the support!

5 comments:

  1. Bring on the cabbage! I love using this vegetable because it is so cheap...and after a while the taste really grows on you. I crave it now. And I would easily devour a bowl of pasta and cabbage and cheesy goodness. I hope you have a great weekend and a lot of fun at that restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent seen a lot of cabbage recipes (but I am very tired of zucchini recipes, personally)...anyway, your recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use cabbage! Good luck on the first challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect timing! I just bought a 1.4kg HALF cabbage, and have been wondering how to make use of it so that I don't get entirely sick of it. Two pasta dinners coming up! :P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails