Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Chili-Ginger Chicken w/ Shiitake Mushrooms & Napa Cabbage


I never knew what a good light kit would do for the appeal of my food. I came home this past Sunday after working until 10:30 to a kitchen that looked like something of a t.v. show set. I called Andy while I was on my way home to have him prep the ingredients for that nights dish, and instead he prepped the kitchen for a show... and I can't say that I'm upset, because the pictures turned out amazing, and so did the dish.


Ingredients:
1 tablespoon chili garlic paste
2 tablespoons black bean sauce

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon asian sesame oil

3/4 cup chicken stock

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 & 1/4 lb. chicken thighs, cut into 1 & 1/2 inch strips

salt

freshly ground black pepper

1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and cut into pieces

2 tablespoons minced ginger

3/4 lb. napa cabbage, chopped (4 cups)

3 ounces daikon radish, thinly sliced

2 scallions, thinly sliced


The original recipe I found had miso paste in it, and after searching all over Louisville (not really, I only stopped at Kroger and Whole Foods), with no luck, I decided to substitute the chili paste and black bean sauce to give it more of a subtle spicy flavor.

In a small bowl, mix together chili paste, black bean sauce, garlic, sesame oil, and 1/2 cup of the stock.



Heat vegetable oil in wok and add chicken thighs. Salt and pepper to taste and cook until done, about 5 minutes or so.


Remove from wok with slotted spoon and set aside.

Add mushrooms, ginger (instead of mincing my ginger, I had it in the freezer and grated it instead. The freezing of the ginger root keeps it fresh longer, and it just easily grates so I like it better that way), and remaining chicken stock to wok. Cook until mushrooms are tender.


Add the cabbage and chicken back in. Stir fry for a quick minute and add the savory sauce to the wok.


Allow to simmer and finally add in daikon and scallions.


Mix together and serve! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Haha. I guess Andy just wanted to impress you with his kitchen-prepping skills! Anyway, the food looks delicious! Actually, it is mouthwatering! I think the subtle spicy flavor of chili paste and black bean sauce made it more enticing. And the nutrients from the chaga mushroom are a healthy plus!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails