Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Braised Lamb Shanks


Now, I'll have to say I'm a pretty open-minded food eater. I practically eat and try to cook anything really. One thing that I haven't been able to properly do, or properly make taste well, is lamb. Yes, many say it's an acquired taste, and many just have a problem with eating a cute little baby lamb, but you know... it's the circle of life, just because it's cute, doesn't mean you can't eat it.

Anywho, I have finally had the huge burden of improperly cooking lamb taken off of my back. I've grilled lamb chops, I've roasted a rack, roasted a loin, and it just hasn't lost the "gameyness" of it. And who knows, maybe it's "supposed" to taste like that, but my tastebuds just seem to reject it. And then the final way I have never cooked lamb, braising, saved my life. I was almost about to give up on cooking lamb, and was quite hesitant on doing this as well (especially since lamb isn't the cheapest of proteins, and well... ruining meal after meal can be a little damaging to the pocket), but I'm glad I did. I felt a subtle "gameyness"... it was just right. The braising liquid entered the meat and flavored it so well that I couldn't help but smile after this meal. I had conquered something... it may not have been the world, but it was lamb. I can now check that off the list of things to accomplish in my lifetime.

Ingredients:

2 bone-in lamb shanks
5 carrots, peeled and sliced
5 parsnips, peeled and sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
4 cups red wine
4 cups beef stock
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
2 tablespoons thyme
2 cups brussel sprouts, quartered
juice from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Season the lamb shanks with the rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Heat a skillet under medium high heat, add about 1 tablespoon olive oil, and brown shanks, about 5 minutes per side.

Set your crockpot to the high setting. Add in lamb shanks. Cover with red wine and beef stock. Add in carrots, parsnips, and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let cook for about 5-8 hours. (I had mine on the high setting for the first hour and then switched it to low while I was at work).

About 30-45 minutes before serving, add in mushrooms and brussel sprouts.

Serve lamb shanks on mixed vegetables that braised along with it in the crock pot.

This was great! I can't say it enough! The meat was tender, fall of the bone, and absolutely delicious. The vegetables were juicy and really delicious all on their own. Enjoy!

What foods have you all found challenging? Foods that you almost gave up on, and a miracle recipe saved you? I want to hear it!

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Rosemary and thyme go so well with lamb. It is really a tasty meat but like you said, it is not the cheapest of proteins.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man that looks good!!! Ive never cooked lamb shanks really, but NOW i must try

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! it was definitely delicious and I am no longer afraid of cooking lamb because I will never cook it any other way than this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for you to cook this for me, when you visiting?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails