Monday, July 20, 2009

Clam & Pork Stir Fry & Truffle Butter Potato Au Gratin

So I've been working on taking better pictures with my rinky dink Kodak digital camera from the stone age, and I think I really am starting to get that "depth of field" look I've been after.

You may be thinking to yourself, Clam & Pork Stir Fry... who ever heard of such a thing. Well, that's exactly why I wanted to try it out after reading the Food & Wine Magazine's article on quick and easy stir frys!

The supplies you'll need...

3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
4 Garlic Cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 lb. ground pork (I used a wee bit more because I like a lot of meat)
40 Little Neck Clams
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
2 Teaspoons Chinese Black-Bean Chile Sauce (I couldn't find this exact ingredient, and didn't really want to go on a scavenger hunt, but I found Black-Bean Sauce and had some Garlic Chili Paste on hand so I used two scoops of the bean sauce and 1 scoop of the chili paste and it worked great)
4 Scallions, thinly sliced
Rice, for serving

Start out by sauteeing the garlic in vegetable oil for about a minute, just until it looks golden brown. Then take out with slotting spoon and reserve on a small plate.

Then cook ground pork until no pink remains. Pull apart with wooden spoon. Add wine and clams.


Cover so clams can steam open, about 3 to 5 minutes. Once clams start opening, transfer them to a bowl.


Place black bean chile sauce/mixture in cooking liquid and mix together. Then mix in garlic, scallions, and return the clams and mix until well combined.



I served mine with long grain brown rice, but any rice pairs well! The stir fry was quick and easy and definitely something you can fix on a busy weeknight.



And for the Truffle Butter Potato Au Gratin...

I randomly bought some truffle oil the other day and have been looking for an excuse to use it, so it was a great joy to see a recipe in the book "Secret Suppers" by Jen Garbee.



What You'll Need:

10 medium or 15 small Yukon gold potatoes (I used a mixture of red and russet potatoes)
1 Tablespoon black peppercorns
2 Teaspoons kosher salt
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 Tablespoons Truffle Butter, ex. TartufLanghe, melted (I actually didn't find truffle butter, so I mixed about a tablespoon and a half of white truffle oil with 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter and kind of got the same effect)
6 oz. Abbaye de Belloc or aged Emmentaler, finely grated (this is pretty much just a fancy swiss cheese)
4 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves only) (I used dry thyme)
1 cup heavy cream, divided

preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash the potatoes and thinly slice them.


Grind peppercorns and salt and put thin layer of mixture on the bottom of a glass baking dish. Mix potatoes, oil, butter, cheese, thyme, and 1/4 cup of cream. Then place in dish.

Bake for 30-45 minutes, layering on 1/4 cup of cream every 10 minutes until cream is finished off. Make sure potatoes are tender, then take out of oven. Cut into squares, or dish out, and serve while hot.


The flavors really sing in this simple dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails